History of the church in a nutshell
Extensive construction took place in the course of the 15th century, among others the choir and the chapels. In the 16th century work was done on the transept and small part of the ship. After about 1650 construction stopped, which left the church unfinished. The tower was fitted with a new clock floor in the 15th century.
During the bombing on Nijmegen February 22nd 1944, a large part of the tower collapsed. The South-Western part of the church was heavily damaged. Also in the period during the Second World War where Nijmegen was on the front the church incurred a lot of damage. After the WWII the church was thoroughly renovated. In 1969 there was a festive opening in the presence of his Royal Highness Prince Claus.
The inventory of the church - namely the pulpit, the monument to Catherine of Bourbon, candelabra, organs and several frescoes - dates from the 16th, 17th ad 18th century.
Read more about the history of the Stevenskerk on Dr. Dirk-Jan Dekker's website (in Dutch).